Pages

Monday 15 April 2013

DojoCon2013

What a wonderful welcome, sun shining & a view to die for... All of this as I arrived at Slane Castle for the 2013 Coder Dojo Conference.  It was a bit of a nervous arrival, I was the sole representative of our Dojo in Portarlington, but being the brazen lassie I am, I soldiered on!!!

I was completely unprepared for the overwhelming welcoming atmosphere from organisers, speakers & fellow attendees alike!! I suddenly forgot how nervous I was, shook off the "billy no mates" look from my face & embraced the day ahead...



It ran so smoothly with talks from keynote speakers such as James Whelton, Bill Liao and Jerry Kennelly.  From here the talks were divided into three streams; "Education", "Technology" & "Running a Dojo".  I attended the "Running a Dojo" sessions as this was an area where I would be most useful for our club. I learned so much to help us as we grow! 
But besides what I learned... I met some truly wonderful fellow mentors/volunteers.  The enthusiasm & willingness to share ideas, tips and even stories of pitfalls was incredible.

When we broke for lunch I braved the chance to share my idea for badges as Ninjas earn their belts... I was actually shaking, my earlier nerves kicking in again lol... But the lovely Louisa Maher from the Drogheda Dojo took me under her wing & once again my nerves were forgotten as I shared with other mentors & Bill Liao :)

You see, I had come up with the idea of "grading cards" attached to a lanyard (again potential for sponsorship not overlooked!!) and the "badges" designed on the images on coderdojo.com.  As the Ninjas earn their badges, they attach them to the grading card & once filled, they would be ready to receive their next "belt". Now this is purely a prototype & a simple idea... But I decided to share it all the same with James Whelton.  (who by the way, is the easiest person ever to talk to, a super 'cool dude') James seemed enthusiastic & I left them with him to peruse (using fancy words now I'm getting braver at blogging! he he)



The day progressed nicely & I met more wonderful mentors/volunteers, had a giggle or two in the most relaxed "Rock 'n Roll" atmosphere!! 

The final speaker was the wonderfully inspiring Kimberley Bryant from 'Black Girls Code'.  Wow, wow, wow... I had to hold back the emotions as I listened intently, she truly is an inspiration & her final note which was from an African Proverb will stay with me forever... if you educate a woman you educate a nation... Yes, maybe being a woman & Mammy it struck a cord, but it also drove enthusiasm into me for our fab Ninjas back in Portarlington!!!


This truly was an amazing experience that I will cherish & use intently to help our Dojo grow!! I can't wait for next year, where I will be bringing along some of our other Mentors, not because I'll be nervous, but to help absorb the information and 'vibe' ♥♥♥

5 comments:

  1. Excellent Blog, so descriptive I actually felt I was there - I will definitely attend next year - you did a great job Clare, thanks very much, would you mind putting this blog on our website also?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be delighted to Mary :) Sure you guys are my inspiration to volunteer!!! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on your first blog Clare, brilliant, well written and your personality shines through this piece, feels like you are telling me in person. Good on ya :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Clare. Love the Lanyard idea too - took a pic and tweeted it on Saturday - didn't realise it was your idea!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, :) Thanks a million! Oh and I humbly didn't "declare" it lol... I just wanted to share it discretely & then I kinda hoped for the best! ♥♥♥

      Delete